Eating Out: The Real Greek, Bankside


The Real Greek restaurant situated on the South Bank is a popular venue for alfresco dinning. Unfortunately for me, it was pouring with rain when I visited this week, making it impossible to enjoy the view.

That said, the decor and atmosphere largely made up for the poor weather. The surroundings are inviting with low modern lighting and an American diner feel. Admittedly, the interior was not what I expected to see from a restaurant boasting a 'real Greek experience' but it definitely works.

The menu offers a modern take on traditional Mediterranean food - there was everything that you'd expect to see on a Greek menu; from Souvlakia to an extensive selection of Meze. If you're Greek you'd probably decide that the food isn't as good as your grandma's homemade dishes, but in terms of authenticity, it's probably not far off. With so much to choose from it's easy to get carried way with the number of dishes to order, (I certainly did) everything sounds so scrumptious, but with each dish ranging between £2.25-£5.50, you can afford to order generously.


The Greek Flatbread was served deliciously moist and warm; matched with Htipiti (Greek feta dip with roasted red peppers and onion) it was simple, fresh and very moreish. I also enjoyed a medley of seafood including Grilled Sardines and Anatolian Spiced Gambas (Prawns). The Saganaki Kefalotyri (Grilled goats cheese) on a bed of Horta Salad was divine. The dishes were all served on tiered racks, which in my opinion was a novel and clever idea; because it meant that the table didn't become overcrowded and it made serving yourself so much easier.

The staff were very attentive; they explained the menu and provided recommendations, thus helping me make an informed decision on which dishes to try. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit and I'd definitely go again. The venue is about to undergo a major renovation come February, so it will be interesting to see the difference it makes, I just hope that the venue doesn't loose its charm in the process. For now, I highly recommend you head to the Real Greek and sample yourself some Saganaki Kefalotyri, it's a winner.

The Real Greek
Units 1&2 Riverside House
2A Southwark Bridge Road
SE1 9HA

Tel: 020 7620 0162
Web:
www.therealgreek.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment