Beauty Buzz: Smooth Shapes

SmoothShapes

When it comes to treatments that promise a solution to all cellulite woes, I do approach them somewhat skeptically. My reason is that I am often approached with offers to try miracle cures all guaranteeing visible results after just one application. I've tried a few in my time, and found myself disappointed. Out of politeness, I never write about them, but in my opinion most of them are just playing on the concerns that most women have with their wobbly bits and the treatments just 'go through the motions' creating a temporary fix, a mere pseudo effect in the mind rather than a genuine improvement.

So when I was invited to try out the new SmoothShapes system, I was more than a little skeptical and yet pleasantly surprised. This new non-invasive anti-cellulite treatment features Photomology® technology to reduce the appearance of fatty build-up and to smooth the skin for long lasting results. The system has been six years of scientific development in the making.

Just last week there were rather unkind photos of Elle Macpherson in the press with dimply thighs. It just goes to show that cellulite can affect the slimmest of people and it's not always the result of poor diets or lack of exercise. In fact, cellulite affects 90% of women and it's the result of changes that occur within the layer beneath the skin called the hypodermal or subcutaneous fat layer. These fat cells become enlarged and take on irregular shapes, resulting is the dimpled surfaces that some of us women battle with.

How does it work?
The SmoothShapes treatment combines laser and light energy with contoured rollers and vacuum to specifically impact the underlying causes of cellulite. First the light energy penetrates the fat cell membranes whilst the laser is targeting the problem area and liquifying the lipids within the fat cells. Next, the vacuum massage using suction and movement to guide the liquified fat out towards the body's lymphatic system, creating better circulation and encouraging the increase in collagen. The treatment facilitates changes in the skin resulting in an improvement in the appearance of cellulite.

SmoothShapes
Example of results: Pre and Post treatments

But does it really work?
Well yes, I think it just might. I experienced a taster of the treatment for myself. Up until now, treatments that I've tried have been more like a massage, admittedly a little too relaxing and unfortunately pointless. However, this treatment wasn't relaxing at all - I could really feel the vacuum and laser working on the treated area and it did feel a tiny bit uncomfortable at first. But after 5-10 mins, I became used to the tugging sensation from the suction. The treatment lasted around 30 mins and I actually felt very thirsty afterwards. The technician suggested, this could be the result of my body wanting to flush out the toxins that the treatment dislodged from the problem area.

So, after finishing a bottle of water on my way home, I went to the mirror to see if I could recognise a difference. I could not. Unlike other miracle cures, the SmoothShapes system doesn't boast immediate results and it's recommended that a course of 8 treatments is undertaken to maximise the improvement, so I wasn't at all surprised. However the next day, my husband commented on how smooth my upper legs were in appearance. I went over to the mirror for the second time to examine them myself and much to my surprise, they did look visibly smoother and tighter. There was still cellulite in the area of concern but, at least I could tell that with a course of treatments, the results would be impressive.

The treatment doesn't come cheap, it's available exclusively at Destination Skin and prices start from £200 per area for a single treatment and a course of 8 sessions will set you back £1250. It's definitely a pricey option but thankfully it's not just a temporary fix (which is the downfall of many cellulite treatments) so if you do invest money into the treatments, it's reassuring to know the results last.

Destination Skin is listed on Wahanda, the online spa community so check out their page for the latest special offers and discounts available.

Desitnation Skin SmoothShapes

For more information on SmoothShapes visit:

House of Fraser
Westfield Shopping Centre
London
W12 7GA
UK

Tel: 020 3372 6453

0 comments:

Post a Comment