Victorian Era Nipple Piercing

As a teen, I read in a book of "fascinating facts" (which I later discarded as I gradually found just about everything in it was wrong) that there was a short lived fashion in the 1890s of women piercing their nipples and wearing gold rings in their breasts.

Thinking that would be a worthy topic for a post on this blog, I went hunting for information... and I could not find any contemporary sources talking about the practice.


It does not contain any direct quote from a first-hand source, but it does footnote where this bit of info came from: a GERMAN text from 1912. And even that is not a primary source - it is referencing ANOTHER GERMAN article.
I asked a German friend of mine if she could locate any info on the topic, but other than telling me how to translate the word ("Brustwarzenpierciengs" -- which sounds like it might be a newer way to phrase it) no new info has been gathered. So far, it sounds like this might be a made up story that Germans were telling about "what English woman do."

0 comments:

Post a Comment