Costume Time! Portrait of Madame X, Part 3

While I considered using only historical makeup items for the look, in the end I was trying to recreate the smooth, licked-over effect of a painting. Although I did some experiments with the traditional cream and powder makeup, nothing was able to match the look of clean, smooth skin like modern cosmetics. So I began with a base layer of some modern makeup foundation, on pretty much every part of my body that showed -- face all the way down to the wrists. I then dusted it all over with a white powder made from an authentic Victorian era recipe of talc and bismuth.

I made use of the Madame X Makeup Look to do up my face, employing the same historical white powder to dust it over. I found I had to adjust some of the coloring, now that I was a redhead -- my "Rosary" lipstick had to be blended with some bright red to warm the color up, and I used a mixture of two browns from a Physicians Formula eye palette to make the shadow. Brow/Eyeliner was Bare Minerals Onyx, applied with a brush. Rouge was also Bare Minerals, Glee color (which doesn't show up strongly in the photo but trust me, it's there.) 


Properly lit in sunlight, the effect was nearly perfect.


0 comments:

Post a Comment