Costume Time! Portrait of Madame X, Part 2

One obvious issue I could see with my costume, was that Madame X had red hair, whereas I do not. And I'm not one of those folks who will just go out and dye her hair for a Halloween costume. A temporary solution had to be found. After a bit of research into a washable coloring for dark hair, I learned about using chalk.


I went out to the art supply store and bought a soft pastel in the correct color, for about $5. I had to use the whole stick to do all my hair.


There were red smudges from one end of the house to the other by the time I'd finished. 

In my test runs of the Madame X hairstyle, I was disappointed to find my own hair was a little too thin to create the right effect. Yet, happily, once all that chalk was caked into the mix, I suddenly found my hair had plenty of volume!

The hairstyle itself is basically a demi French twist, with a loop at the crown, and then apparently a twist that comes forward and is secured right at the hairline, with a little curl made from the excess. Any leftover hanging hair around the nape is collected into another little loop and secured.



(My hair, by the way, seemed about 3 inches too short to quite do this correctly -- but I got it pretty similar, I just couldn't twist the tail piece coming forward, instead I had to let it lay flat.) 

A feather in the side was all that was needed after that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment