Real Old Time Victorian and Edwardian Rouge

I've tried a few rouge experiments on this blog in the past, and have to say that this mixture is the one I'm most satisfied with -- it has created the most period correct appearance of any modern or historical rouge I have tested so far.

The recipe is the lard and carmine mixture from this old post. I used benzoinated lard to keep the mixture fresh, and omitted the "essence" suggested since I was making such a miniscule amount of it. No precise measurements were used; I used the tip of a butter knife to place a tiny amount (maybe 1/16 of a teaspoon?) of carmine into a tiny pot, which I mixed together with about two to three times as much lard. The result was a beautiful, sheer rouge mixture.

It blends very smoothly and it can be layered, or applied more thickly or thinly as needed. I may actually start using this stuff as my everyday blush, I like it so well. 

Below you can see how it looks, applied on lips and cheeks.



Only noteworthy concern is that it does have a somewhat bacony smell from the lard. Which is probably what that essence I left out is meant to combat. Maybe if I mix up a larger batch I will scent it with something, to conceal this.

0 comments:

Post a Comment