More Hair Experiments and Tonics

Another opportunity to experiment with unwashed hair and hair tonic came up -- after the whole town of Bernalillo had the water shut off for a while due to a ruptured pipe. So no showers for anyone till that could be fixed.

To try to keep my hair looking reasonable, I tested Rosemary Gladstar's recipe for Hungary Water, a version of the mixture that is actually halfway between a toilet vinegar and Hungary Water.

Here is the result of applying this mixture to 3-days unwashed hair:




For comparison, here's a picture with clean hair taken a couple days later after I was able to wash again:


I don't think you'd ever mistake one for the other. I also don't think that the vinegar/tonic was as good as the saltwater/tonic for improving the condition and appearance of the hair. I got some photos of pure ocean water results as well. Here is 1 day after ocean water tonic, 3-days unshampooed:


Much drier and cleaner (and fluffier) looking than the Hungary Water. I also have the ocean water day 4, but because I did a more complex style it's harder to compare. Still...



(Amazing how you can look like a completely different person with some Madame X makeup on, isn't it?) Oiliness is starting to show here but not as bad as without the sea water. All in all I think it is true that saltwater makes a good old fashioned Edwardian style "tonic" for oily hair.

0 comments:

Post a Comment