Notes on Notes of an Unfashionable Woman


A few of the terms and subjects mentioned in our last post might have been unfamiliar to a few readers. Here are some helpful explanations and photographs so that the modern reader can better understand the author's complaints. The above picture is indicative of what the fashions were going through during this era -- is it any wonder that people who are into vintage clothing seem to love Victorian and "Titanic era" fashions, but then always suddenly skip ahead to the 1920s as if the years 1913 - 1919 never happened?
"Slouch!" he commanded. "Slouch! Contract your lungs! Throw out your stomach; let down one hip! Slouch! They are slouching!"
This article, from 1914, came just around the end of the classical "Gibson Girl" era. Compared with the strictly upright and puff-chested posture of the S-Bend Corset, the new more natural figure indeed would look like a slouch.

I tried to slouch. I achieved a sort of slant, an effect not unlike the Cubist painting of "A Lady Coming Down the Stairs."

Probably refers to Duchamp's Nude Descending a Staircase.


My silhouette must resemble a pyramid of ice cream in the village drug store on a hot day. The silhouette is attained primarily through use of the corset. This is an article which reaches from a point one half inch above the knee (it cannot be any longer or the slit in one's skirt would permit it to be seen) to a point one quarter of an inch above the waistline (It cannot be any higher or the cut of one's corsage would make it visible.) You will perceive its dimensions are practically arbitrary.

And I must have, on my hat, something which is very long and sticks out and is shaved except in spots where it is bushy. I do not know the name of these things. I shall have to point to one when I wish to buy it. Somehow they make me think of silly poodle dogs, clipped to indiscretion on their hind legs, but with little places, as concessions to their modesty, left here and there and on their tails.


Again there is the matter of the "Minaret Gown." They are wearing them. I must wear one too. But how? Where does one get in? How stay in? May I sit down in one if I do wear it? Or if I sit will it fly up in front and hit my teeth as would a hoop were one to step upon the edge of it? Shall I learn to manage a "Minaret Gown?" Who will teach me? Perhaps it is a talent to which certain natures are born, just as some people always vote for Bryan; or know what to answer when any one says "pleased to meet you."
(The picture at right is satirical but nevertheless demonstrates the minaret and the front-slit skirts of the day.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment