Edwardian Makeup Tricks

A couple photos of some authentic Edwardian makeup experiments. First, using the authentic tinted lip moisturizer recipe on my lips and cheeks:

Because of the cinnamon oil I added, the recipe creates an irritated redness in the cheeks -- the Gibson girls would have loved that, because that means it's 'natural.' I actually did not find it to particularly burn or feel uncomfortable. Here it's still a little streaky, and the difficulty in blending such a thing is the only flaw I find. (Makes me think that Tiger Balm might be a good "Natural Rouge" in Victorian style.) A heavy coat of the moisturizer actually is almost as good as lipstick! I think with a little more beeswax it could probably serve so.

Next picture demonstrates historic powder:

Very C. D. Gibson! I have on modern lipstick and eyeliner here (though if you've read the Guide To Make-Up, you know those two things haven't changed a lot.) I also have plain old culinary cornstarch on my face for a powder -- and it works remarkably well. It mostly turns transparent once in contact with the oils you have to first layer onto your skin to keep it clinging, so for me the lack of pigment was no trouble (though I am relatively pale to start with.) I think if I were to wear it regularly I'd try to find a way to sift it a bit finer, though -- a few larger particles did show and require careful brushing off.

0 comments:

Post a Comment