Testing Out The Madame X Makeup Look...


The Madame X look is included amongst the historical makeup effects described in the must-have Gibson Girl's Guide to Makeup. At left is a picture of my testing out this particularly dramatic old-time look.

The original Madame X was a young socialite named Virginie Amélie Avegno Gautreau, wife of Pierre Gautreau. Her coloring was a little different than mine -- she was probably an autumn, whilst I'm a winter. Because of this, I had to modify some of the makeup tones a little to suit my complexion, as the originally called for peach rouge and bronze eyeshadow I knew would have been too orange for me. I chose instead a fuschia rose colored rouge and a kind of bole shade for eyeshadow. The result has the same effect as the original -- it's just the same tones less orange.

I used Maybelline Colossal Volum' Express mascara in glam black, and Maybelline Unstoppable Eyeliner in onyx for both my eyebrow pencil and eyeliner. The eyeshadow was L'Oréal Wear Infinité, and the rouge was L'Oréal True Match Naturale. The lipstick is Kat Von D Painted Love in rosary, and the powder -- in a nod to authentic Edwardian practice, is some plain baby powder: Angel of Mine brand.

Here's the original picture for comparison:

0 comments:

Post a Comment