Lip and Cheek Tint, Gibson Girl Style

On a recent trip to the beauty shop to buy my favorite Edwardian style makeup powder (Palladio Translucent Rice Powder) I also happened upon a second vintage-looking makeup item -- Femme Couture Lip and Cheek Stain Duo. It's a gel stick of blush and something that feels like a marker of lip tint. They actually look very natural, making them quite suitable for the "Versailles" style blush that was popular in the old days* and really, by our standards, never looks natural. Using the application techniques described in the Gibson Girl's Guide To Make-Up, I applied the rouge and some of my rice powder. The picture at right is my happy result -- with my sun bonnet making a merry widow for good measure.

*Casanova, in the 18th century, called this intentionally excessive and unnatural painted blush style Versailles style. I think the term still works.

0 comments:

Post a Comment