Tuesday Hair

Cavalieri's advice for the next day of the week:


On Tuesday I would use a different and more stimulating shampoo:
Pure liquid soap, 100 grams; carbonate of potassium, 20 grams; distilled water, 2 liters. These should be boiled until the soap is dissolved, then let cool. When cool add from 200 to 500 grains of tincture of vanilla or other favorite perfume.
A handful of this shampoo in a bowl of warm water will cleanse the hair of any dust it may have accumulated since Monday. The hair is now thoroughly clean. The next step is to stimulate it. For this purpose use the camomile mixture, made as follows:
Two handfuls of camomile; two quarts of water. Boil until the mixture is as black as after-dinner coffee. Usually fifteen minutes are quite enough. Pour it into two more quarts of cold water and place in a gallon jar.
Massage the scalp with it after the shampoo. This is a favorite preparation in France. There no grease nor oil is used on the hair.
To encourage the hair to grow an application of a good quinine mixture is a great aid. During the afternoon of the second day that I go into seclusion for my hair's sake I massage the scalp lightly with such a tonic. Or I apply it before going to bed. Many of the quinine mixtures sold in the drug stores I have used with good effect, after having had them analyzed by chemists.
Here is a preparation which a friend becoming bald used to secure a splendid new lot of hair. Were I in so serious a state I might also use it:
Precipitated sulphur, 10 grams; alcohol (95 per cent.), 10 grams; distilled water, 50 grams; rosewater, 50 grams. And here is another which, were my case radical, I would use: Alcohol (95 per cent.), 100 grams; acetone, 100 grams; oil of cade, 10 grams; precipitated sulphur, 20 grams; pyrogallic acid, 2 grams; chrysophanic acid, 20 centigrams; bichloride of mercury, 40 centigrams.



0 comments:

Post a Comment