Pressed Powder Homemade... Kind Of

According to past data of the early 1900s, a sort of pressed powder can be made from combining loose powder with mucilage of tragacanth.


I ended up with a ton of rose-tinted powder a while back, which I thought would be good to utilize for this experiment. I didn't make any measurements as I don't own precise enough scales to really measure small amounts too well -- and I didn't want to make a pound of pressed powder. So I decided to just eyeball it.


I just combined it until I got what seemed like the right texture. The tragacanth was still a little lumpy in places, but I hoped that it might absorb together after sitting. Then I pressed the mixture into an old powder compact I had around.


After sitting overnight, the result... well. Was not too pretty.


I put it back into the mortar and pestle, thinking maybe the trouble was that the tragacanth itself had been too poorly incorporated. I made a new, smoother batch by beating it all back to powder and just adding water.


Back into the compact. Another day to dry, the result was a bit nicer looking, though still crackly:


Unfortunately, when I went to try it out -- no powder came off. I rubbed my brush into it for probably a whole minute and not a bit of powder was transferred off the tablet.

I suspect there's way too much tragacanth in the mixture and it needs some more powder to offset it. But that experiment, I think, will have to be done on another day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment