Beauty Buzz: Microneedle Therapy

Destination Skin

After trying the Smooth Shapes treatment for cellulite last month, I was out to discover another beauty fix and curious to know if there was a treatment out there to combat stretch marks. The online beauty community Wahanda introduced me to Microneedle Therapy now available at Destination Skin.

Now to say that I'm not a fan of needles is putting it likely, but I wasn't about to let nerves get the better of me. Microneedle Therapy is a natural rejuvenation method; non-surgical treatment that with regular use can be beneficial to various skin conditions such as aging (wrinkles, stretching), scarring (acne, surgical), and hyperpigmentation. Industry experts claim it to be more effective than ablative treatments like laser resurfacing, dermabrasion, and chemical peels.

Key to the therapy is the Microneedle roller, a type of medical tool with anything from 200 and more needles that as you might have guessed, are rolled and gently pressed onto the skin to create tiny pricks as it moves. Essentially, it injures the skin's surface, stimulating collagen and elastin production to thicken the skin. This process works to help smooth scaring.

Microneedle Roller

It sounded incredibly interesting, if not a little too good to be true. But what particularly appealed to me was the fact that the recovery time for this treatment was super fast - more so that than dermabrasion and laser treatments that can take more time than the 1-2 days Microneedle therapy requires. And if it can reduce the likes of stretch marks and scarring (my two pet beauty hates) I was going to give it a try.

Initially, the feeling of the needles on my skin took some time to get used to. It was a sensation I wasn't used to and to be honest, I didn't like it very much but after a while, the prickling sensation became less noticeable. As the roller was moved up and long my thighs and hips, I could feel my skin becoming warm. The therapist informed me that the warming sensation was a good sign, it meant that the treatment was working.

Lasting 40 minutes, the treatment left no discomfort afterwards, which was great. I was able to wear my jeans out, just as I had arrived, with no worry of irritation.

The next day, my skin felt a little itchy where tiny scratches had appeared on the surface that the roller had been used. However, this was part of the healing process, and after a couple of days my skin had calmed. Three weeks on, the stretch marks that were targeted certainly feel smoother and less prominent, even if they are still visible.

My verdict is that Microneedle therapy isn't a quick fix and it doesn't bear instant results, however, it's far kinder to the skin than laser therapy and the more intense dermabrasion treatments available. It can be used anywhere on the body. All in all, it's a safer alternative for those who have very sensitive skin and for that reason I'd much prefer a course of this treatment than any other option. Prices start from £150. A course of three treatments will cost £360.

See the latest Destination Skin offers and discounts at Wahanda.

Destination Skin
House of Fraser

Westfield Shopping Centre
London

W12 7GA


Tel: 020 3372 6453
Email: westfield@destinationskin.com
Web: www.destinationskin.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment