Beginning of Making the Gown

You might notice a little change I had to make to the pattern pieces...



Hopefully the backmost section being in two pieces upper and lower won't drastically change the garment. 

I chose a striped cotton for the upper material and some kind of black knit for the skirt part. I decided to use hooks and eyes to close it -- I bought some on Etsy pre-stitched onto tape, which I hear was a common way to buy them in Victorian times. It's definitely an easier way to put them on than having to sew down individual hooks and eyes.


After attaching the hooks and eyes to the lining, I pinned the striped material down to cover it. I thought I had a good surplus, but once everything fit together I found if I stood up straight and took a deep breath I just barely had enough cloth! Maybe I was getting too crazy with the baked goods between fittings... In any case, I got it sewed down by hand, I just had very little seam allowance across the bust. The skirt was sewn on inside-out across the chest, and left loose over the back to be figured out later...

0 comments:

Post a Comment